This website is a SAMBROOK Family Genealogy website dedicated to the origins of the Sambrook family.Created by Ian Sambrook, currently living in Gisborne New Zealand
You can contact Ian at
Liverpool, the place were part of the Sambrook family and Hollingsworth family were born and bred. The Hollingsworth side had a large family of 11 children from Williamand Elizabeth with William and Ethal Sambrook contributing 2 siblings and many Grandchildren.
Many of the combined families lived in the Liverpool area, many still residing in and around their home town and some who have moved outwards to other cities and countries.
Whilst the Author of this website supports Liverpool Football club, I am sure that just as many family members will support Liverpool, Everton and many other Clubs as they spread themselves around the world.
Liverpool has been a town since 1207, when it was granted its first charter by King John. It has had a town corporation (the Corporation of Liverpool) since before the 19th century, and this was one of the corporations reformed by the Municipal Corporations Act 1835.
The corporation created a police force in 1836.
Liverpool was granted city status in 1880. When local government was reformed in 1888 under the Local Government Act 1888 it was one of the cities to become a county borough, and thus independent of Lancashire. This situation persisted until 1974 with the Local Government Act 1972, when due to urban expansion and the accretion of a large metropolitan area, the city was made a metropolitan district of the metropolitan county of Merseyside. This saw the old corporation nomenclature abolished and the council reconstituted as Liverpool City Council.
In 1835 Liverpool expanded into the village of Everton and then the township of Kirkdale in the 1860s. In 1895 Wavertree, Walton and parts of Toxteth and West Derby were incorporated into the city. Fazakerley (1904) and Gateacre (1913) followed, then the rest of West Derby known as West Derby Rural in 1928 and finally Speke in 1932.
In 1986 the council of Merseyside was abolished and its functions devolved to its districts, but the county still legally exists.
Liverpool is split into 30 separate wards for elections. These are the wards since the 2004 local elections.
Deus nobis haec otia fecit is the motto of the corporation of Liverpool and means God has given us these days of leisure.
The first Edge Hill station was built in 1830 on a site about 150m from its present location. Of this little remains. There was a "Moorish Arch" with a stationary engine hauling trains up and down from Crown Street Station until locomotive-hauled trains were able to cope with the gradient. The current station dates from 1836 when the main city railway terminus was moved to Lime Street. The station retains its original buildings but is very quiet owing to the sheer lack of population or industry in the area. These buildings are the oldest in the world still open to the public at a working railway station]
Formerly all trains stopped at Edge Hill at the entrance to the tunnel to Lime Street station, giving rise to "getting off at Edge Hill" as a euphemism for coitus interruptus.
Edge Hill was the site of huge railway marshalling yards until the 1970s, sorting trains to and from the docks via the Victoria Tunnel and Wapping Tunnel to Park Lane and Waterloo goods stations on the dockside.
The Old Stableyard on Smithdown Lane once housed Roy Rogers' horse Trigger during a visit to Liverpool.
Herbert Rowse Armstrong, the Hay poisoner lived at 52 Durning Road, Edge Hill whilst practicing as a solicitor in the city
The Crumbles murderer Patrick Herbert Mahon was born in Helena Street in 1889.
The Liverpool writer Tom Slemen, author of the bestselling Haunted Liverpool books, was born and raised in Edge Hill.
Crown Street Resource Centre is a mental health resource centre in Edge Hill opened in 1982 and run by Liverpool social services and Merseycare for people living in the Liverpool city area.
Groove Armada wrote a song entitled "Edge Hill" during a period in which they lived in a homeless shelter in the neighbourhood.
Edge Hill University began work in the area in 1885 as a teacher training college, though it moved to its current Ormskirk site in 1933.
Helena street Harbord street Helena street Rice lane Walton Helena terrace is were Ian Sambrook was born and lived until the age of 7 when he and his family emmifrated to new Zealand in 1964
Edge Hill is a district of Liverpool, England. It is located to the south east of Liverpool city centre, bordered by the city centre, Kensington, Wavertree and Toxteth. Edge Hill University was founded here, but moved to Ormskirk in the 1930s.
The area was first developed in the late 18th/early 19th century (Georgian era). Many of the Georgian houses of the time still survive. Edge Hill was designated a Conservation Area in 1979. Most of the Georgian property around St. Mary's Church is now English Heritage listed. The later terraces, of the Victorian era, have also largely been demolished. Although some modern housing has been built, the area still has a depopulated appearance, with many vacant lots and derelict pubs and shops.
A notable resident was Joseph Williamson (1769-1840) a tobacco magnate who was responsible for much of the building in the area during the early 19th century] He is remembered as the "Mole of Edge Hill" due to his employing hundreds of men to construct a network of tunnels beneath the Edge Hill area. Part of the tunnel network is now open to the public as a tourist attraction.
In the early 19th century, Edge Hill was the site of two railway works. Both the Liverpool and Manchester Railway and the Grand Junction Railway initially set up workshops, but with restricted expansion as the business grew, the Grand Junction Railway moved its main locomotive production to Crewe in 1843. Locomotives continued to be built at Edge Hill until 1851. The Liverpool and Manchester was absorbed by the Grand Junction in 1845, which in turn became part of the London and North Western Railway in 1846.
You are now on the Liverpool Page of
Typical housing Estate that I lived in until I was 8 years old