This website is a SAMBROOK Family Genealogy website dedicated to the origins of the Sambrook family.Created by Ian Sambrook, currently living in Gisborne New Zealand
You can contact Ian at
Sambrook is a small village in the ceremonial county of Shropshire, where it is part of the civil parish of Chetwynd, north of the town of Newport. To the north is the small hamlet of Ellerton, with Howle to the west and Pickstock to the south-east.
It was recorded as a manor in the Domesday book survey, when it was known as "Semembre"; the spellings "Sambroc" and "Sambrock" were later used: the name probably means "sand brook".
In the village there is an early 18th-century manor house, Sambrook Manor, a public house, the Three Horseshoes, and a mill with a large millpond fed by the Goldstone and Waggs Brooks. The 19th-century village church, St Luke's, was designed by Benjamin Ferrey.
There is another mill, the derelict but Grade II Listed 18th-century Showell Mill, a short distance to the south-east.
You are now on the Sambrook Village Page of
Chetwynd (St. Michael)
CHETWYND (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Newport, Newport division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 1½ mile (N. by W.) from Newport; containing 740 inhabitants. It is on the road from Birmingham to Chester, and comprises 3738a. 32p., of which 122 acres are waste: a common kind of red sandstone is found, chiefly used for walls and cottages. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 16. 3., and in the gift of the family of Borough: the tithes have been commuted for £714, and the glebe comprises 26½ acres, with a glebe-house. The church is a brick building, erected about the year 1775. A chapel of ease has been built in the village of Sambrook. There is a small place of worship for Wesleyans; and a school, now conducted on the national plan, is endowed with lands producing £38. 12. per annum. Sambrook is said to be the birthplace of Commodore Anson.
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sambrook like this:
SAMBROOK, two townships and a chapelry on the N E border of Salop; averagely 5 miles N N W of Newport r. station. The townships are in respectively Chetwynd and Cheswardine parishes; and the chapelry includes also part of Edgmond parish, and was constituted in 1856. Post-town, Newport, Salop. Rated property, £3, 941. Pop., 552. Houses, 113. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £165.* Patron, J.B. Borough, Esq. The church is good.